Wednesday, June 27, 2012

There comes a time for war and a time for peace

K I know this is coming a little late (as Jimma keeps reminding me to write it lol) but rest easy and have a read of my account of Belfast. First of all our time went too fast (hehe) and before we knew it the day was basically gone (like the warmth). After another train ride (you know it had actually been a few days since we were on a train) we arrived in the city close to lunch, had a walk around to our hostel. You know when you walk in a neighborhood and you feel kinda sketchy for just walking by... Yeah that was the direction we were heading in however our hostel was wonderful and it had a dog (and really cute Irish guy whose brother owns the hostel). So first things first tomorrow we are leaving on a boat (crazy excited right!) so we needed to go book a ferry (who would have thougt of that) now the really nice guys at the hostel told us to grab a cab and tell them to take us to the docks (all I could think was Irish mafia would be mad about us intruding on their turf but I think they'd accept me). Rest assure we took a different approach, we asked the train station about it and he told us to decide which of the two we wanted to take. Therefore after finding the line in which to take we hailed a taxi (they called us one) and we set out on my first ever taxi ride to go down to the docks. Super easy by the way and they set us up with a straight through to Edinburg.
We returned to the hostel in hopes if catching a Black Taxi tour that takes you through the Protestant side of Belfast as well as the Catholic side and tells you about the troubles between the groups (every time someone would say troubles I immediately thought of Haven which will hopefully be starting soon). Well we got stuck talking to the CRAZY lady (my fault to be sure) for a few hours and then finally decided I take the tour when a lull in conversation presented itself. Well she decided to join us (my fault again) but I think it was good because she kept asking the guide question upon question therefore I didn't feel bad when I only asked a few. I was surprised by the division of the town including an extremely tall wall and gates that closed at night. Plus Protestant kids are building gigantic bonfires (with stolen material) in three parts if their side to light on July 11 for July 12 they march the city. I loved being able to learn about the history as I didn't know much about it and was surprised by some of the things I learned. Sometimes hatred and fear cloud judgment and the true purpose of life. It's easy to keep and hold a grudge, it's hard to let one go.

No comments:

Post a Comment