Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Land (well building) of a thousand steps

Best thing about a train ride is when they offer plugs so you can listen to music without draining your battery. Therefore here is L.E.O.'s maiden voyage!!! (For some odd reason I associate L.E.O. with ships alas as I do not know why.) It's a good thing because we were starting to think we only brought him for pictures (which he doesn't mind one bit). Onward to Florence (which is nothing like its Italian name, Firenze) I wonder what awaits us...
New best thing when you can find your hostel without turning down a wrong street! Now unto Florence and the wonders it holds. Armed with a map an water (lots of water) we started on our journey throughout Florence and can I say we make every minute count. Our destination the Pizzale Michelangelo (which rumor has is the best view of the city). Along our journey we check out the mercato centrale, the Basislica of San Lorenzo (that should have been L.E.O.'s first name), the Cathedral of S. Maria del Fiore, Dome, Giotto's Bell Tower, Piazza della Signoria, the Uffizi Gallery and over the Pante Vecchio finally towards our last stretch up to the Piazzale Michelangelo. To be clear it is a hike in 90 degree weather and at the top there is no shade but the view is simply amazing as all of Florence laid before us. Some things capture your attention while others capture your heart! Technically the later happened but never fear the sight does take your breath away in a splendid way. Needless to say the hike an four bottles of water where well worth laying our eyes upon it.
Random question what is it about the phrase y'all that makes people want you to repeat it over and over again?
So next thing (after gelato because let's face it I take after my mother and am addicted to ice cream and Italy makes the best ice cream ( Blue Bell gives it a run for its money though)) a quick change and off to tour through gorgeous churches!
Do you know how many steps it takes to get to the top of the Dome in Florence? Well we don't either but I'll tell you it's quite a few and then some. (Update from Jimma: about 460 steps according to google) I felt like I was in a dungeon (well on my way to a dungeon) with the fun steep steps and tight spiral stair cases that frankly never seemed to end. The art work however is exquisite on the. bottom of the dome and when you reach the top on the outside the view is amazing (probably better than the Piazzale Michelangelo). The buildings were so close and yet so far below you (and the people looked like ants so you felt like you could rule them all! not really but it's a thought, not really on that either, maybe I should read less Empire capturing books). All you can really do is inhale deeply and enjoy the moments you are given. All day I have seen things (some slightly inappropriate things) that I just know my brother would like (not that Chad wouldn't but he is a bit classier lol) and it makes you realize how important all moments are because you never know when one will really matter.
After feet soaked in the pool (sandals through Europe may not be my smartest plan, yes I brought real shoes but I'm stubborn and don't want to wear them all of the time) and some nice conversations (plus a bit of Internet time) we give blessings and sweet thoughts to Florence and anticipate Pisa in the morning! Farewell dear readers as you never know what tomorrow may bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment